When designing your new apartment, there are some things to keep in mind. Of course, getting an interior designer would be ideal, but since the budget doesn’t always allow it, we’ve got five apartment design tips that will help your apartment become your home.
1. ALWAYS have a mood board. Even if it’s called Pinterest. Rip out magazine pages, take photos of window shops, remember fabrics you love; you never know – your favorite shirt might be the inspiration for your favorite curtains.
2. With paint, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Paint can be tricky. Just because you like the sample, doesn’t mean you’ll like it on all four walls of your apartment living room. Buy three shades of the same color and paint sections of the room to get an idea of what it will look like before you commit.
3. Express yourself! Listen to Madonna. She knew what she was talking about. Your home should be a reflection of the person who lives there, so don’t be a copycat. No one expects your living room to look like it just jumped off the cover of ELLE décor. People like unique apartment decorating ideas that really bring out the person and their space.
4. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Same goes for designing. Designing your apartment home is about collecting things that are special to you and that make sense together. It doesn’t just happen overnight.
5. Get rid of clutter. You don’t need it and you never will. Find a GoodWill in your neighborhood and take it there so that people who will actually use it, can find it. What’s the point of having stuff that just takes up space when someone else my collect it and actually use it.
We hope these five apartment design tips help you get off to a great start making your home exactly how you like it!