Living a greener life can be a bit intimidating. I was recently researching this topic and got overwhelmed with all the tips and suggestions (and seeming demands!) I came across. One list told me to cook only with cast iron and to immediately stop wearing perfume. I don’t think so.
I now know I am not as ‘green’ as I thought I was. Apparently my reusable grocery totes and fancy-shmancy thermostat aren’t worth talking about. So, I compiled a list of things even my perfume-loving self can do to ease into this green thing.
- Use cold water when doing laundry. This can save up to 80 percent of the energy required to wash clothes.
- Use reusable coffee mugs. Some coffee shops won’t even provide disposable cups anymore!
- Drink and eat local. Meaning, eat food that was grown within a small radius of your location. 70 miles is my personal goal.
- Master secondhand sales. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure, and it is way cheaper than buying new! Host a clothing swap, buy on craigslist, and scour your resale shops. This saves not just in waste, but also water, manufacturing resources, and packaging.
- Don’t travel for meetings. There are loads of virtual options for face-to-face meetings.
- Go paperless with your bills and mail.
- Pick up litter when you see it.
- Low-flow showerheads are an obvious one that makes a big difference for greener living. They will significantly cut back on your water usage.
- Volunteer. Find an organization to join and volunteer your time to help nature and the environment.
What tips can you share for greener living?